Tags: characteristic, conditions, differences, drastic, drugs, due, extreme, health, heat, medications, neurological, neuropathy, sensitivity, specific, symptoms, weather

Do you have EXTREME sensitivity to heat?!

On Health & Drugs & Medications » Neurological Conditions

5,268 words with 7 Comments; publish: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 21:40:00 GMT; (90078.00, « »)

Does anybody know if DRASTIC differences in symptoms due to weather is characteristic of any specific neuropathy? I know that we all have our different sensitivities, but it seems like it's more common for people to have a problem with cold... I can't seem to handle heat, and that seems odd. I hadn't made the connection in time for my last neurology appointment, and now I have to wait until the end of September to bring it up with my neurologist.

I'm hoping this is a clue for what I have...

My neuropathy (assumed small fiber idiopathic) is SO much worse in the heat, or even when the weather is warm. In warm weather I'm lucky if I can walk for just a few minutes before the deep achy feeling on the soles of my feet and ankles is bad enough so that I can't concentrate/hold a conversation. I just need to stop, rest for a while and put ice on my feet. I also have constant burning in the warm/hot weather. Sometimes it's just my toes and sometimes is everywhere on my feet.

But in COLD weather I feel ALMOST normal. I need to take breaks from walking, experience some burning at night, but I would say I feel at least 85% better when I'm in a colder climate for at least a couple of days. It seems like I need to be in the cold weather for at least a day for my body to adjust. The first time I experienced this I cried because I thought I must have been getting better. The difference is unbelievable.

I would appreciate hearing from any of you on this topic. I need all of the information I can get and I'm so grateful that this board is here...for all of us.

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 7 Comments
    • A demyelinating neuropathy will be intensified by heat.I can not put my hands or feet in hot water they go completly numb.Talk to your neuro.
      #1; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:11:00 GMT
    • My aunt has had basically an allergic reaction to heat. She keeps her house around 60-65 degrees year round. I don't even want to know how much she pays for her electric bill! Not sure if she has neuropathy, but I do know she has other serious health issues.. I believe this one is something like Urticaria or something simliar. If she is in sunlight, or even in the presence of a hot light source like a bright lamp, she turns beet red. Extreme cold has a similar reaction, but she does like to be in cold/cool environments.
      #2; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:12:00 GMT
    • I have Sensoral Axonal PN.

Developed it while I lived in Orlando, Flordia.

The first few months that I had it , but before I got any "pain relievers", my feet became so frozen I wore wool socks to work in Orlando in the Summer!

It did make my feet sweat.. but they were so frozen cold feeling!

I called them my melting ice cubes!

I'd go home and put heating pads on my feet and legs and it felt so good.. yep, in the nice hot sub tropical summer.

After I got the Dx and pain relievers that hot/burning/freezing/cold sensation came under control.

I lived in Florida for about 4 or 5 years after getting my PN and then moved to Northern Indiana (Ice and snow in winter). Been here about 7 years now.

My PN behaves exactly the same in both states.

The weather changes do not seem to have any effect on my limbs that have the PN.

I have heat problems NOT related to my PN.

Sensitive skin and my PN are 2 unrelated diff ballgames.

#3; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:13:00 GMT
    • From all I've read, it's how your nerves are damaged and send signals to your brain as to the temp. at the extremes which get 'skewed'. Your nerves, skin, vascular and lymph systems all 'talk' to each other. Your nerves aren't working right-therefore the conversation is out of kilter. You're less likely to sweat, produce oils to lubricate your skin, all kinds of things...

No are not going crazy tho, being either too hot or cold, it's reported one way or the other. Watch using heating pads tho, too much and you could accidentally burn yourself, due to your sensory 'signals' not working right.

Tepid compresses and light massage of affected areas work best for me. Worth a try!

#4; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:14:00 GMT
    • Watch using heating pads tho, too much and you could accidentally burn yourself, due to your sensory 'signals' not working right.

You're not kidding!

I DID:eek:

I was sleeping with the heating pad .. under my sore hip and when I woke in the morning I discovered I had turned on my tummy while asleep and boy did I have a mean burn on my tummy from it lying on on that pad!

I recommend the stick on or belt on heat wraps..such as Thermacare.

Those won't burn you!

I aslo should mention if you are having temperature problems, getting too hot.. night sweats, ect..umm well if you are a woman.. it might not be from the neuropathy but rather menopause. The vascular signals as to the temp your skin is feeling gets all out of whack...you can feel colder than other people or hotter than other people. Night sweats is the pits.

#5; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:15:00 GMT
    • Snowmelts,

I smiled when I read your post. I'm only 25 so I know it's not menopause. Also, I'm just referring to the pain in my feet getting worse with heat although I do hot weather the in general, too.

#6; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:16:00 GMT
    • Oh to be 25 again! :)

Sorry about your feet though.

#7; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:17:00 GMT